Monday, April 30, 2012
L2 Sit Step 1, Part 1
Moving on...
L2 Sit Step 1: "Dog sits and stays while you walk 5 feet away and return."
Step 1a: Sit without moving.
Luna can do this in daily life, but NOT when there's clickers and treats involved, aka a Training Session! So we are diligently working to fix that.
I hadn't actually planned to start L2 today, but after Luna had dinner I re-filled her food container and of course she came asking if she could have some more. Since she's on the skinny side of lean, I figured, why not. So I took another handful of kibble and took her to the mat in the hallway. Starting on slippery tile is destined to be an epic fail, we'll safe that for later.
At first I tossed the treats to reset her after each count, but that was too hard. She couldn't sit calmly, was trying to offer other behaviors, and so on. So I had her sit once and then just handed her the treats after each count. Then we got up to 5 seconds before she moved her feet. Back to one. Then we got up to 7 seconds before she moved her feet. Back to one. Then we got up to 4 seconds and I dropped the treat, so she got up to get it. Again up to 5 seconds but then I realized I was paying for noise, so we ended with 2 seconds of quit, calm sitting.
Tomorrow I will make sure to treat noise as a mistake, and go back to one if she even looks like making noise (her face gets tight). Despite that, she did better and was physically calmer than I had expected, so yay!
Labels:
In The Game,
L2,
Sit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment