Tuesday, April 24, 2012

No more dinnertime training.

I think Luna and I should not be training before her dinner anymore. Or at least not for a while.

I feed her once a day, after the humans in this household have had dinner and after I've cleaned up. Lately, we've been having really late dinners, which means Luna doesn't get fed until 8 - 9 PM. This means that by the time she gets her food, she is REALLY, REALLY hungry. We can't train at that point. She can't focus, she can't listen. I tried doing some Chutes & Ladders with Sit (1 Sit, C/T, 2 Sits, C/T, 3 Sits, C/T etc.) but she was very noisy and throwing other behaviors the whole time. Unfortunately my brain didn't kick in until after the session...

So either I don't train her right before feeding her, or I feed her sooner regardless of the humans having dinner, or I feed her twice a day.

Just writing it down so I remember.

And again, sorry Luna...

2 comments:

  1. We feed Reyna twice a day so that way if I have a chance to train in the morning I can use breakfast or if the evening is better I have the option of using dinner but she's not out of her mind crazy....something else I do if she is REALLY hungry, is feed her half her meal and then train with the second half so she has her wits about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, thanks for the ideas Elizabeth! I'll try the 'feed half, train half' approach. I think that would work well!

    ReplyDelete